The West Jordan Historical Society was established in 1998 with the goal of opening a West Jordan Historical Museum. Later in early 1999 the historical society was offered a surplus house that later became part of the city’s main park. The house, located at 7800 south and 2053 west, is a small West Jordan homestead including several out buildings, an orchard, tons of trees, chickens, and antique machinery. Some of our featured West Jordan and Utah historical memorabilia includes an original Saltaire carousel horse, the 1909 dedication stone for West Jordan’s 2nd LDS meeting house and tools once used by Archibald Gardner to build 31 different mills throughout the Salt Lake Valley. The museum features several artifacts, photos and information featuring World Middle Class Champion Boxer Gene Fulmer and his trainer and friend Marv Jensen. The museum also features a working blacksmith shop that features an original forge once owned and operated by Willard Richardson, an early West Jordan resident. Many of Mr. Richardson’s original handmade blacksmith tools and hand forged items are on display. We also feature an 1867 granary building that houses unique West Jordan and Utah dairy items and displays.
The museum has acquired and moved to the museum site, West Jordan’s first soda fountain/ lunch counter/small groceries business, the Cottage Inn. When fully restored, the Cottage Inn will look like it did in 1937, complete with booths, lunch counter with floor mounted stools and a soda fountain / ice cream counter. The Cottage Inn was owned and operated by Vivian Gardner Richardson and her sister Genevieve Finlayson Hogan. The Cottage Inn will feature many original artifacts used in conducting business by the two sisters.
In 2007 the Historic Steadman Barn a two-story, 100-year old wooden barn was moved to the Museum location. Traveling just a little over a mile from 2200 W and 70th S the barn was gifted to the museum by the Larrie Oreno family. The barn was one of a pair that housed sheep and cows for the Steadman family. Called “A miracle of cooperation” by the Salt Lake Tribune the barn is in the process of being restored and refitted as a Utah Dairy Museum Display.
The museum is generally open Thursday and Saturdays or by appointment. If you are interested in scheduling a tour or event please call 801-255-3116 or 403-9030. School tours, scout or church groups require an appointment.
- We have hosted over 200 Eagle Scout projects since opening in 1998.
- Established a West Jordan history reference library at the museum.
- Sponsors an Annual Pumpkin Walk in October.
- Additional rotating historical displays in the West Jordan City Hall lobby.
- Museum grounds available for conferences, wedding receptions, family reunions, or other group events.
- We do not charge admission to the museum, however donations are greatly appreciated.